MERIAL DEWORMERS: Zimecterin and Zimecterin Gold, is formulated to protect your horse from parasites. All horses should be included in a regular parasite control program with particular attention paid to mares, foals, and yearlings. Zimecterin is an excellent option for strategic parasite control. Whether your horse is in a stall, on a pasture, or at a show, any number of equine parasites harmful to its well-being can infect it. Parasites can cause organ damage and respiratory problems, and contribute to colic, which sometimes leads to dire consequences.
Zimecterin controls a wide variety of important internal parasites, including bots and benzimidazole-resistant small strongyles. Zimecterin Gold combines ivermectin with praziquantel, specifically for tapeworms, and is approved to control more species and stages of equine parasites than any other brand.
Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment and control of parasitism. Zimectrin Gold (ivermectin/praziquantel) Paste provides effective treatment and control of the following parasites in horses:
- Tapeworms: Anoplocephala perfoliata
- Large Strongyles (adults): Strongylus vulgaris (also early forms in blood vessels), S. edantatus (also tissue stages), S. equines, Triodontophorus spp. including T. brevicauda and T. serratus and Craterostomum acuticaudatum
- Small Strongyles including those resistant to some benzimidazole class compounds (adults and fourth-stage larvae): Coronocyclus spp. including C. coronatus, C. labiatus and C. labratus, Cyathostomum spp. including C. catinatum and C. pateratum, Cylicocyclus spp. including C. insigne, C. leptostomm, C. nassatus, and C. brevicapsulatus, Cylicodontophorus spp. including C. calicatus, C. goldi, C. longibursatus and C. minutus, and Petrovinema poculatum
- Pinworms (adults and fourth-stage larvae): Trichostrongylus axei
- Ascarids (adults and third- and fourth-stage larvae): Parascaris equorem
- Hairworms (adults): Trichostrongylus axei
- Large Mouth Stomach Worms (adults): Habronema muscae
- Bots (oral and gastric stages): Gasterophilus spp. including G. intestinalis and G. nasalis
- Lungworms (adults and fourth-stage larvae): Dictyocaulus arnfieldi
- Intestinal Threadworms (adults): Strongloides westeri Summer Sores caused by Habronema and Draschia spp. cutaneous third-stage larvae: Dermatitis caused by neck threadworm microfilariae, Onchocerca sp.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION:
This syringe contains sufficient paste to treat one 1250 lb horse at the recommended dose rate of 91 mcg ivermectin per lb (200 mcg/kg) body weight and 454 mcg praziquantel per lb (1 mg/kg) body weight. Each weight marking on the syringe plunger delivers enough paste to treat 250 lb body weight.
- While holding plunger, turn the knurled ring on the plunger ¼ turn to the left and slide it so the side nearest the barrel is at the prescribed weight marking.
- Lock the ring in place by making a ¼ turn to the right.
- Make sure that the horses mouth contains no feed.
- Remove the cover from the tip of the syringe.
- Insert the syringe tip into the horses mouth at the space between the teeth.
- Depress the plunger as far as it will go, depositing paste on the back of the tongue.
- Immediately raise the horses head for a few seconds after dosing.
PARASITE CONTROL PROGRAM:
All horses should be included in a regular parasite control program with particular attention being paid to mares, foals and yearlings. Foals should treated initially at 5 months of age, and routine treatment repeated as frequently as every 8 weeks. Consult your veterinarian for a control program to meet your specific needs.
Zimectrin Gold (ivermectin/praziquantel) Paste effectively controls gastrointestinal cestodes, nematodes and bots of horses. Regular treatment will reduce the chances of verminous arteritis caused by Strongylus vulgaris.
Broad-Spectrum Control: Zimectrin Gold Paste kills important internal parasites, including tapeworms, bots and the arterial stages of S. vulgaris, with a single dose. Zimectrin Gold Paste is a potent antiparasitic agent that is neither a benzimidazole nor an organophosphate.
ANIMAL SAFETY: Zimectrin Gold (ivermectin/praziquantel) Paste may be used in horses five months of age or older. Zimectrin Gold Paste has not been tested in foals younger than five months of age, in pregnant mares or breeding stallions. Zimectrin Gold Paste, when tested at 1, 3 and 5 times the maximum recommended dose every two weeks in five-month old foals, and at 10 times the maximum recommended dose in a separate study, did not elicit any adverse clinical signs of toxicity.
WARNING: Do not use in horses intended for food purposes. Not for use in humans. Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children. Refrain from smoking and eating when handling. Wash hands after use. Avoid contact with eyes. The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) contains more detailed occupational information. To report adverse reactions in users, to obtain more information, or to obtain a MSDS, contact Merial at 1-888-637-4251.
PRECAUTIONS: Zimectrin Gold (ivermectin/praziquantel) Paste has been formulated specifically for use in horses only. This product should not be used in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result.
Ivermectin and excreted ivermectin residues may adversely affect aquatic organisms. Do not contaminate ground or surface water. Dispose of the syringe in an approved landfill or by incineration.
INFORMATION FOR HORSE OWNERS:
Swelling and itching reactions after treatment with ivermectin have occurred in horses carrying heavy infections of neck threadworm (Onchocerca sp.) microfilariae. These reactions were mostly likely the result of microfilariae dying in large numbers. Symptomatic treatment may be advisable. Consult your veterinarian should any such reactions occur. Healing of summer sores involving extensive tissue changes may require other appropriate therapy in conjunction with treatment with Zimectrin Gold Paste. Reinfection, and measures for its prevention, should also be considered. Consult your veterinarian if the condition does not improve.
STORAGE: Store up to 86°F (30°C). Transient exposure to temperatures up to 104°F (40°C) is permitted.
For more information visit Merial.com
**PICTURE MAY NOT BE ACTUAL REPRESENTATION!
PRICES SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. CALL FOR UP TO DATE PRICING & AVAILABILITY